Wagyu steak is booming with flavour.
It loves the BBQ and goes particularly well with this creamy, smoky and fresh Mexican street food, known in its homeland as ‘elote’.
- 4 x 170g Woodview Wagyu steak of your choice
- Mild vegetable oil (e.g. rice bran)
- 4 ears of corn (or see tip at bottom of page)
Olive oil (or other vegetable oil) Salt
- 2 Tbsp aioli (or mayo)
- 2 Tbsp sour cream
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder
- 2 1/2 Tbsp crumbled feta
- 2 1/2 Tbsp finely chopped coriander
- Lime wedges
Serve steak with Mexican street-style corn and/or any other sides of your choice.
If corn is out of season, make a Mexican corn salad instead: use 4 cups of frozen corn kernels in place of the corn ears. Fry the kernels in a little oil, then mix through the mayo, sour cream, chilli and smoked paprika. Season with salt to taste. Top with crumbled feta and finely chopped coriander.
how to make it
- Bring steak to room temperature, brush with oil and season generously on both sides with salt. Heat BBQ/ hot plate until hot.
- Cook steak for approximately 2-3 minutes on each side or until caramelised, turning only once. Remove from hot plate just before desired doneness is reached.
- Allow meat to rest in a warm place for 4 -5 minutes before serving.
Mexican Corn Method
- Remove husk and rub corn with a thin layer of olive oil, then season with a little salt.
- Cook corn on a hot BBQ, turning to get a bit of colour on each side. Remove from the grill when all sides have colour.
- Combine the aioli (or mayo) and sour cream and apply all over each cob of corn.
- Squeeze with lime juice (or serve with lime wedges on the side).
- Sprinkle corn with chilli and paprika, then top with crumbled feta and finely chopped coriander.
- Serve and enjoy!